Welcome to Awakenings

Life IS history in the making. Every word we say, everything we do becomes history the moment it is said or done. Life void of memories leaves nothing but emptiness. For those who might consider history boring, think again: It is who we are, what we do and why we are here. We are certainly individuals in our thoughts and deeds but we all germinated from seeds planted long, long ago.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Wine Whiskey and Women

Drawing on the Past:
What is it about blues music that tears at the soul? Perhaps it stems from the sounds of the laborers in the cotton fields of the South bringing home the rhythm to the drudgery of their plight and servitude. Such work songs brought to life by "field hollers" served as the foundation for all blues music to come.

Of course, at the heart of 'blues' is the human voice. After all, that is where it got its start. It's unique slow sound embedded the emotion and personal expression of life's hard times. As it evolved, the guitar became the 'second voice' closely followed by the harmonica

There are several recurring themes enveloping blues music. These encircle the life and times of love, loss, death, tragedy, and oppression. The music is of low tone, which digs at the heart with compassion as it bleeds of sadness.

So why the emphasis on wine, whiskey and women? While blues music may have started in the fields, it extended beyond the plantation into smokey backroom juke joints. Crap games and card games took over the back room, brawls were common and the whiskey flowed. Women frequented the joints looking for a good time and excitement outside the home. Infidelity was not uncommon as witnessed in the lyrics of blues songs where the man stayed home with the kids while the wife was out clubbin'!

While the era may have faded away, blues music is undoubtedly here to stay!  

Papa Lightfoot: Wine Whiskey and Women

 Papa George Lightfoot
(March 2, 1924 – November 28, 1971)
 
Born Alexander Lightfoot, an American blues singer and harmonica player 


Lonnie Johnson - No More Troubles Now (1930)
Gimme my good whiskey, women, wine, and song
I'm goin' to have my fun until I'm dead an' gone
 
Dr. Feelgood - Wine Women Whisky
Wine women and whisky
Goin' be the death of me
 
A dictionary of blues terms, words, phrases, etc.
 
...a rich, powerful history of people who helped build America and created one of the most influential genres of popular music.
 
 
Are you into the 'blues'? Who is your favorite blues artist of all time?
 
Mine is . . .
 
 
but I cannot leave without a visit to . . .
 
 


22 comments:

  1. Blues is one of my favorites and you picked some greats. Thanks for sharing, Sharla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed! BTW Thank you for the GREAT review of Remembering:>)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Micki! It was really quite impromptu:>)

      Delete
  3. I wasn't into the blues very much until my son started playing guitar. He has taught me to love that genre of music! I think one reason the Blues appeals to people is that it generally follows a certain progression of chords so that makes the song seem familiar even before you've heard it. And of course, the lyrics are almost always about universal subjects: wine, women, songs, sad times.

    I enjoyed your post, including the video links. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed! My husband actually got me into the blues music. It is just so...LIFE!

      Delete
  4. A beautifully written piece, evocative of bygone days. The blues, though not part of my culture, arouse in me a feeling of nostalgia for something I cannot define. Even without the videos, this would still be a remarkably talented piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marta, for the comments:>) I did not learn to truly appreciate blue until later in life and have begun to understand more about this special music that tugs at the heartstrings.

      Delete
  5. My favorite blues singer is Eric Clapton. I find it interesting that when interviewed Eric will quickly tell you of his love for blues music. His Grammy award for "Tears In Heaven" on Unplugged demonstrated the heartfelt love affair for blues music.

    Eric Clapton has been a member of many hit bands and is listed as second on the Greatest 100 Guitarists of all times. His personal tragedies and struggles with drugs & alcohol is well documented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob, for I would have never thought about Eric Clapton and blues music. I really haven't listened that much to his music. You just may have opened a new door for me:>)

      Delete
  6. Oh Sharla,
    These are some of the best. The Blues have a way of transporting one in time making memories that were so good, come back to life.
    This is probably one of my favorite post from you. The Blues to me include the Sax, Trumpet and Guitar.
    I cannot think of any I did not or do not love.
    Thanks for sharing again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the instruments...blues encompass drums, bass guitar, piano, trombone, trumpet and saxophone. But the voice...it is that uniqueness that really sets the blues apart...a world all its own!

      Delete
  7. Agreed, Sharla you picked some great blues songs. Your article reminds me of "Cadillac Records," a movie about blues artists from the 40s- 50s: Muddy Waters Chuck Berry, Etta James, and Howlin Wolf. The pain they suffered as black artist trying to live in a white man's world. The cruelty they endured despite the beauty of their music, the souls they encouraged and inspired. After watching that movie, one part of me despised blues, yet another connected, understood, relished the amazing feat of blues artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen the movie but you have made it one I want to locate. Blues is soul...riveting because of the background of its song lyrics.

      Delete
  8. Great post, Sharla, as usual you once again took me away to another time and place where today's world doesn't belong. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we had access to a time machine! I would leave this era in a hearbeat!

      Delete
  9. I LOVE the blues and this is one of your best posts yet! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Thank you, Sandra! Let the blues roll on!

      Delete
  10. Do you know Otis Spann, Sharla? I've been listening to his blues piano for over 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not familiar with him. Definitely sounds like one I need to investigate. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  11. Hi,
    Thanks for the enriching article.
    Blues, Jazz, Gospels are related to their mother which, in my opinion, is the negro spirituals. These songs, which were orginally sung a cappella, while the slaves were picking cotton, echoed out their desires for their homeland, their wailings for freedom, their hurts and their pains during time of sicknesses and ill treatment. Blues, as well as the black gospel was the African-American way of breaking away from the field songs that were sung by the older people. The guitar became an instrument after Thomas Dorsey began to put notes to a lot of the Negro Spirituals. Then came the jazz which brought out another flavor and rock and rolls with Chuck Berry and a few others.
    I enjoy them all but if I am honest I must say a negro spiritual that is sung from the heart, a cappella, still touches my heart the most.
    Great article.
    Ciao,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Pat, you NAILED it! I have always loved the Negro spirituals...such emotion in their voices and the blues(as I said on catnip) -

      music to the ears
      bleeds sadness
      words from the heart
      impale the soul

      Delete