Welcome to Awakenings

Life IS history in the making. Every word we say, everything we do becomes history the moment it is said or done. Life void of memories leaves nothing but emptiness. For those who might consider history boring, think again: It is who we are, what we do and why we are here. We are certainly individuals in our thoughts and deeds but we all germinated from seeds planted long, long ago.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fall's Harvest Moon

Being on vacation, visiting family, and celebrating my birthday have delayed some of my postings. Since the fall equinox and harvest moon are both monumental seasonal events they must not go unnoticed even though their official dates have passed.

For 2012, the September equinox began in the northern hemisphere on September 22, 10:49 A.M. EDT. Day and night are each about 12 hours long. It is on this day when our Sun crosses the celestial equator going southward; it rises exactly due east and sets exactly due west.

Click HERE for videos!
 
 
It is the summer's great last heat,
It is the fall's first chill: They meet.
–Sarah Morgan Bryan Piatt
 
 
 
Click HERE for slideshow!
 
By the Light of the Moon
 
The harvest moon- the full moon closest to the autumn equinox has set for 2012. Our skywatchers were out and captured some spectacular images of this beautiful site.
 
A Harvest Moon
Photo Credit: Wikipedia
 
Related articles:
 
Prominent harvest moon watches over Washington, D.C. (PHOTOS)
 
Harvest moon on fall equinox won't be seen again until 2029
 
Harvest moon shines on all weekend
 
Everything you need to know: September equinox 2012

 
Where were you this past weekend? Did you see the harvest moon and perhaps take some spectacular photos? Share your sightings. . .


7 comments:

  1. the photos are amazing!!! So otherworldly and dreamy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos Sharla and even if I am so late, I wish you happy birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous photos, Sharla, and Belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharla, I love the harvest moons. When I was 15 or so I went to the Harvest Moon Ball at Madison Square Garden in NYC. Cool night! These pictures are gorgeous! Thanks for bringing such neat things to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharla,

    Who can not notice that gorgeous moon? I had to take a walk outside at 1 am the other night - I couldn't resist. It is very dark here and the moon is almost as good as daylight.

    Happy belated birthday.

    I'm taking off for OR next week to visit husband's family, but I have my blog posts scheduled for every Sun and Wed while I'm away.

    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has so far been a beautiful fall, although I've been looking at leaves rather than the moon. Thanks for the reminder.

    A belated Happy Birthday, Sharla! Have a great year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful and make me want to get my paints and brush back out of the closet!
    Yours,
    Martha Love

    ReplyDelete