Welcome to Awakenings

Life IS history in the making. Every word we say, everything we do becomes history the moment it is said or done. Life void of memories leaves nothing but emptiness. For those who might consider history boring, think again: It is who we are, what we do and why we are here. We are certainly individuals in our thoughts and deeds but we all germinated from seeds planted long, long ago.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Bon Appétit!

This Day in History: August 15, 1912

(August 15, 1912 - August 13, 2004)

Bienvenue à la cuisine de Julia
Welcome to Julia's Kitchen!



"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate."
~Julia Child


Was she born to be a star?

Scooping up a potato pancake, patting chickens, coaxing a reluctant soufflé, or rescuing a curdled sauce, Julia Child was never afraid of making mistakes. “Remember, if you are alone in the kitchen, who is going to see you?” she reassured her television audience. Catapulted to fame as the host of the series The French Chef, Julia was an unlikely star. Over 6′ 2″, middle aged and not conventionally pretty, Julia had a voice careened effortlessly over an octave and could make an aspic shimmy. She was prone to say things like “Horray” and “Yum, yum.” Her early culinary attempts had been near disasters, but once she learned to cook, her passion for cooking and her devotion to teaching, brought her into the hearts of millions and ultimately made her an American icon. To the fans who knew and loved her, she was known simply as Joooolia. Read more. . .

Ah-h-h! The memories. . .

The memories of Julie Child are irreplaceable! I remember being a junior in high school when The French Chef first premiered. Being a constant companion to my mother in the kitchen, I was intrigued by the culinary arts of this no-frills chef. We had a black and white TV that looked like a box sitting on legs that never failed to miss one of Julia's episodes. (If one was missed, it would have been due to illness, on vacation or the TV was broken!) One of the funniest episodes I recall to this day was her presentation on how to cut up a chicken. If that poor chicken wasn't dead when she started, it certainly was by the time she got through with it! You would have thought it's carcass was defending itself against her unorthodox technique. I remember laughing and learning at the same time!

Bon Appétit!





Reflections on Julia Child have left me hungry: hungry to know what you remember about The French Chef!



2 comments:

  1. I remember so much about her and her famous recipes. I could never name all of the memories but she sure was one of a kind.. Blessings, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie, for stopping by for a visit, especially leaving a comment. Julia was always one of my favorites. When I saw the movie Julie and Julia, I was very disappointed. I don't think it paid the tribute to Julia Childs as she deserves.

      Delete